DISCLAIMER: I know this might seem obvious to many of us who are married or in serious relationships however… A lot of young girls (and women for that matter) don’t know what love is and find themselves in these one-sided, manipulative relationships without realizing it. I think we all know that men can be very convincing and so my hopes are that someone who sees these signs in their boyfriend can wake up and realize she is worth much more than being a someone’s secret.
Over the years, I have always been the one my friends go to when they need relationship advice. Not that I’m an expert or anything but I am very adamant about people being treated with the respect they deserve. They come to me because they can count on me to remind them of that. There is nothing that irks me more than a girl giving her all to a guy who isn’t even giving her half, in the hopes that he will be the type of boyfriend she wants him to be one day.
Here are 7 signs you need to break it off with the guy you are seeing:
1. He is secretive with his phone. If he has a password on his phone and acts as if there is top secret, classified information on it… you aren’t the only one getting his attention. He either has a girlfriend already or he has multiple girls texting him.
2. You rarely go out on dates. I’m sorry ladies but Netflix and chill is NOT considered a date. If your time together is mostly spent just laying around the house, he does not want to be seen in public with you.
3. You haven’t met his family or friends. And if you have, you were introduced as a friend or by your name- not as his girlfriend.
4. He doesn’t want to use titles. The reason could be that he has trust issues or, my personal favorite, he isn’t ready for a relationship. AKA he doesn’t want to commit to you.
5. He doesn’t claim you on social media. He has a problem with you tagging him in pictures, or writing cute comments on his page that indicate you are more than friends.
6. He only seems to be interested in one thing– sex.
7. And last but not least, he has an explanation for every doubt you have. Somehow he can explain it all away within minutes and make you feel like he truly cares about you. He may even use the L word.
If any of this sounds familiar, the guy you’re seeing is not relationship goals material. He won’t suddenly change into Mr. Right, either.
One thing I have learned from my friends’ situations and my own is that you will only be treated badly for as long as you allow it. There are several billion people in the world and you don’t need to waste your time with someone who isn’t proud to be with you. With someone who doesn’t value you. You deserve better.
And in the words of the queen herself… “Tell him, boy bye.”